06 January 2009

on cam



My 2009 vision board includes an Asian destination. And this early, I know what to do: leave my camera behind!

I’ve learned from my Singapore experience last year that a camera is all you need to take away the excitement from your trip. Because with it, you tend to spend hours freezing in time the sights rather than delighting in them and living the moment. Has it ever occured to you that you need not take pictures of these sights because over at Google, they come in a shot much better than yours?

While on a pleasure trip, you wield your digicam like a soldier firing indiscriminately at his enemies. And just when you think you have had enough and begin to appreciate for real the Merlion for its artistry, the cam whore in you takes over again and makes you gun for the 984th shot, one that has you catching the water spewed by the half-lion, half-fish. Now tell me, where’s the excitement in that?

We need photographs for the memories, alright. But do they have to cram a 2-gig SD card?

What about proof, you say. Well, I’m afraid you have to poke my snake eyes and see what pixelized memories they hold. I’ve read somewhere that no camera has been built that matches even partially this thing called windows-of-the-soul whose sensitivity and performance characteristics approach the absolute limits set by quantum physics.

But wait. If preponderance of evidence becomes a real issue, then I shall have my plane ticket laminated and hung on the wall, just above the toilet bowl.

3 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that for a photographer to take a good picture it starts with an appreciation of the subject, sometimes requiring enough time to consider the best angle and lighting consideration. Such that if one is to take a good travel photograph it must start with an appreciation of the destination and its attractions. But what do I know, I am also guilty as charged, a " soldier firing indiscriminately at his enemies ".

    ReplyDelete
  2. anon,

    i agree. in fact, i apply it every time I do my own brand of pedestrian photography.

    my point is, doing travel photography should not be at the expense of leisure travel.

    thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you kampanaryo. though you can't avoid using your cam, its just that maybe just for anybody to share.

    ReplyDelete