04 January 2009

on writing

Carlo Vergara, the author of ZsaZsa Zaturnnah, shared “13 Things About Writing” in his blog, The Carverhouse. The post was light, playful, and most importantly, insightful.

Of the 13, #11 struck me the most, thus: “Writing is meticulous. ‘Hello! Bakit hindi capitalized ang sentences mo? Mag-aral ka nga ng subject-verb agreement! At gumagamit ka ng textspeak, yuck! Eto ang thesaurus, lamunin mo!’"

It's sad that in a country where textspeak rules, the rules of grammar and composition are thrown into the wind. Like caution.

But I refuse to conform. And so call me a fossil, call me passe, but I will continue learning the Elements of Style. Even if it kills me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, and in the process of non-confirming, you lose your audience.

    If you want to blog, use blogspeak.

    Leave your Chicago Manual of Style to gather dust on the shelf.

    You can always use your capitalizing and punctuating alter ego when you write for your oh-so-esteemed PDI.

    But if you continue to blog like this, no one will read you. You are skilled (I can't find the strength to use the adjectives talented or creative here), but boring. Very.

    In isa-isa nako tanan na post nan imo mga blog pero wara-eeeee gayud yag-comment. Hala kuman, basaha ang blog ni Mandaya Moore, and you'll see the difference. I'm not talking about substance here.

    Mandaya has the pulse. You, on the other hand, have your nose up in the air. Un-stiffen.

    ReplyDelete