30 May 2012

Photobucket

That expanse of vacant lot between the PUJ terminal and Tago Public Market has been, for the longest time now, a double whammy: It’s useless when it could’ve been an economic driver, one that could create wealth and jobs for the local government and its constituents; it’s also costly as the LGU must maintain it so it won’t become an eyesore, especially that it’s the first thing visitors see when they alight at the terminal.

Given the impending completion of Tago-Lapaz Bridge, the time has come for this stretch of prime lot to be converted into a business hub.

To do just that, I would divide the area into four quadrants that I would delineate with pathways, using the existing lane connecting Elizalde Street to Tago Public Market as reference point. Then in each of these quadrants, I would build a low, single storey arcade offering for lease back-to-back stalls with identical floor area. Because a certain part is still under legal dispute (the lot adjacent to Young’s residence), I would focus on areas along Falcon and Purisima Streets.

As for the terminal, I would choose between the existing and the unfinished one because aesthetically and cost-wise, it’s not good to have two. But I would make sure the surviving structure is the best located strategically and one that poses less hazard to commuters and pedestrians.

I often hear vacationing Tagon-ons express frustration over the area’s continued non-use when the same patch of land was once a bustling commercial center. I also often hear prospective investors express frustration over Tago’s lack of business spaces they can rent and do business in. One wants to put up a beauty parlor and as I write this, there’s not a single beauty parlor in Tago; another one wants to establish a refreshment parlor; while yet another, a funeral parlor!

Doing this landscape makeover, I could then cater to all these needs.

Much as I object, I often hear it said that business cannot---yes, that’s right, cannot!---thrive in Tago for a myriad of reasons, the severest being the very high cost of doing business, specifically permit and license fees. While this is true, it’s not irremediable. But Your Honor, that’s for another round of self-talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment