21 May 2012

1st Tago Diving Competition

Photobucket

I’ve been hearing from Iyo David that on any given day, swimmers, all in the name of fun, jump from Tago-Lapaz bridge into the wavy waters of Tago River. Mayor Pimentel had validated this when he and Congressman Pichay went there recently to see the extent of bridge completion. All these had led to my holding a back-to-back kite flying and diving contest on 19 May 2012 at Iran, under the auspices of I-LOVE-TAGO Movement.

The day before, I went up the Tago-Lapaz bridge to do a last minute check on the venue when swimmers in various stages of undress came up to me to ask me to hold a diving competition. Clueless, I asked them to agree among themselves what categories to compete in, how the contest would be judged, and winners picked.

As they say, those who play the game should make the rules, and so I asked them.

“An una, kon sinoy pinakalami na trick,” suggested one whose dark skin glistened.

“What does ‘trick’ exactly mean?” I asked.

“Yaon mag eksibiksyon gud paglakso; yaon mag tinambling-tambling ba.”

Okay, I got it. What else?

“Yaon tigsub,”
said another from behind.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“Yaon pag tigsub niya way kisaw nan tubig, kibale ba, kon basketball pa, way bukog.”

Okay, I got it. What else?

”Yaon pinabuto,” said another.

“And how do you do that?” I asked.

“Yaon paglakso ba na mubuto an tubig tapos mo ulbo.”

Okay, I got that, too.

Each of the 15 contestants performed the trick, the tigsub, and the pabuto amidst cheers from the crowd who watched the extravaganza with bated breath.

The two policemen---SPO4 Serra and Sullano---picked the following winners and awarded them with cash prizes: Ryan Balmis for Best in Tricks; Samuel Bautista for Best in Tigsub; and Ner Dy for Best in Pabuto.

Because it was fun, there's a plan to make this event a regular summer feature of I-LOVE-TAGO Movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment