18 December 2011

Give Love on Christmas Day

Yesterday afternoon I sent Atty. Eric Lumactod a text message if he was free at 4 PM. When he asked why, I said I wanted him to join me in making an ocular inspection of the area where the targeted beneficiaries of BISDAK (Bisaya Inspired to Serve and Do Acts of Kindness), California-USA live. I'll make time, he said. I also sent another text message to Japan but she had already left for Tandag with Bingbing.

Atty. Eric and I met at the corner of Purok Calamansi. We went to the house of his batchmate, Teacher Mae, so she could come with us. While walking, he suggested to coordinate with purok president for the identification of beneficiaries. While it's a good idea, I have reservations because it can be tainted with politics. To this Teacher Mae agreed.

On our way to Bongtud it rained and the ever-ready Teacher Mae had brought an umbrella. What we saw in Bongtud broke our hearts. There was this shack no bigger than our toilet but three households live under it. If poverty and squalor had a face, we had come face-to-face with it yesterday. And I tell you, it's not a pretty face.





I've also made a survey of the inmates in Tandag. I have requested my officemate Bema, the wife of the Provincial Head of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, to request Ping to float the questionnaires. Today she gave me some of the filled out forms.



Here's hoping this BISDAK-coordinated love project will come into fruition because a lot of less fortunate Tagon-ons will surely have a merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment