20 January 2014

how articulate and expressive we have become with Facebook

Wikipedia says that social media refers to interaction among people in which they create, share, and/or exchange information and ideas in virtual communities and networks. Based on that definition, yes, we create information; yes, we share information; yes, we exchange information; yes, we share ideas. But are these information and ideas discussed and expanded? No, I’m not talking about discourse here, just a simple discussion carried like a casual conversation.

Not too long ago, a friend lamented on the slow death of face-to-face conversation. Thanks to Facebook, she said.

But how articulate and expressive have we become with Facebook?

We “like”.

We “share”.

We “tag”.

That’s how articulate and expressive we have become with Facebook!

An FB buddy posts a photo or a quoted line. And what do we do? “Like,” of course!

Now, imagine if you were that FB buddy who posted a photo or a quoted line and all you see on your wall are 75 “likes” with zero comment, how would you feel? Happy, of course, right? Seventy-five "likes" is after all 75 "likes". But imagine if you have 74 “likes” and one comment that said “nice!”, how would you feel?

I don’t know about you, but surely I would be happier. One word and an exclamation mark could spell a world of difference in conversation, written or otherwise.

It’s the irony of all ironies that Facebook, as technology-propelled platform for self-expression, sets us back in the way we converse. And it has brought to the fore our dark side. The same friend told me that she doesn’t like looking at the walls of most of her FB buddies because they contain nothing but rants and hatred. Sickening, she said.

There’s no stopping technology from killing traditional conversation as we know and love it. But we don’t have to concede easily, right?

I don’t need FB friends who do nothing but “like”. They get unfriended eventually. I like my friends to talk, to converse, to speak up on FB as though we’re having face-to face conversation. Yes, I know, talk-converse-speak up are synonyms. That is just my way of stressing my point.

I know some are afraid to carry a conversation with me here on Facebook or elsewhere. But here’s a declaration: I don’t look consciously for intelligent conversation; what I like are small talks big on laughs.

Then and now, life is nothing but a warm small talk. Let's make our life beautiful. Even if only on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment