25 February 2013

The Story Behind the Mans and Mimi Meyer Vow Renewal

Photobucket

The project didn’t fall on my lap like I expected it. One day I just received a landline call from Mimi Montero-Meyer from Ireland. Even before I could say hello, she was crying. And so I had to piece together between her sobs what she wanted from me.

She was coming home with Mans, her German husband, and she intended to have a vow renewal done in Tandag with me as program host. I told her I had long retired from hosting weddings and similar events, adding that I had declined a lot of requests from kith and kin; and doing it for her would cause them to accuse me of being unfair.

But she wouldn’t take no for an answer, adding that she had a guest list that included the former Philippine ambassador to Ireland. Sensing an undertone and knowing where she’s coming from and her inspiring story, I told her that for the last time I’d do it for her. That was when she cried again.

Then she started asking me about the venue, the food, her gowns, etc. Fortunately for her, that day I wasn’t in the mood for playing dense, you know, “yaon magpa bulok-bulok” which is one of my favorite charades.

“You want me to organize the event for you?” I said.

She cried even more. That was her original plan, she said, but she didn’t have the courage to ask me.

“Mims,” I said, “I’ve organized big events but not a wedding. And I’ve long wanted to do it simply because I want to show people how it’s done. Okay, because you’ve given me this opportunity, I’ll organize your vow renewal for free!”

Quid pro quo.

All I could hear from the other end were sobs.

I made it clear to her that after we would discuss her objective and requirements and agree on the blueprint of the event, she would have to give me carte blanche. Just because I needed the opportunity to prove my worth didn’t mean I had to compromise my standards and my processes. That I’m known for doing things differently is a badge I proudly wear on my shoulder.

That was mid-January, and from that day on emails and calls from her end peppered my days.

And so that was it, I was all over: from menu approval to food tasting, to flowers, to set-up, to invites, to gowns and attire of participants, to engaging a chopper, to photo and video coverage, etc.

Mimi had initial agreements with the photo/videographer, singer, florist, and the pilot for the chopper that she wanted to use for shock value during her vow renewal. When I met florist Anne Magno-Marapao, I told her my simple requirement, which was “less but more”. Not “is” but “but”. She was confused. Then I explained, showing her pictures of things I wanted her to create for me, the main thing being the four giant topiaries. No baby’s breath, please, I said. Later, after the event, Anne would come up to me and say: Sir, thank you very much for giving me this opportunity; I just interpreted your ideas. To which I replied: No, Anne, you’re a good florist because it takes skills to interpret an idea from a fastidious person like me.

Though the invites were printed in London, I did gazillion edits. And when they reached me I had to tweak them because they were not what I thought they were. I even had to make an insert and order raffia in Davao to fasten them. I also had to print another set of invites for those who didn’t make it to the original guest list.

When the manager [Ms. Marissa de Castro Manzano, youngest daughter of the late Fred Manzano] and the chef of Villa Maria Luisa Hotel presented the menu, I suggested to ditch fish fillet and chopsuey and make the whole thing a fusion of Asian and Continental cuisine. But without pancit and beefsteak, of course. I also said that it was best if we had a dessert and a salad bar. And so the chef reworked the menu, adding full cocktails. I told him it was unnecessary especially that the lag time between the vow renewal and dinner was about 45 minutes. I said, if we go for it, it would have to be mini cocktails. But I had to confer it with Mimi.

I told Mimi that while I liked the idea of having cocktails, it was something excessive. But then she liked it and was amenable to it. And so on the day of the event guests had hors d' oeuvre and wine.

Much time and effort were spent on engaging the services of a chopper but all went for naught. On hindsight, it was for the best as I would have a hard time coordinating how Mimi and Mans would walk from the beach to the venue without ruining the moment’s drama.

I had meetings with the VML staff, florist, and everybody that had a stake in the event. And I briefed them along with the photographers from Surigao City days before the event. I did that because I know that even the best-laid plan can go awry. While I was worried of the rain to ruin the event, I had faith in God and my prayer warriors led by Ms. Gingot Dolon-Insame.

Mimi and Mans renewed their vows on love-day and they looked picture perfect, just like the weather and the set-up, both the grounds and the ballroom.

The reception program was short, highlighted by Mans and Mimi doing a lip-lock while having their first dance after five years to a violin rendition by the Himig singer from Davao and capped by a very heartfelt and touching message from Mimi who related how she and Mans met. And everybody raved about the food that was so abundant people helped themselves to another serving and more.

I received numerous thumbs-up and congratulatory remarks from attendees. Our former ambassador to Ireland, Ariel Abadilla, came up to me, shook my hand, and said, “Congratulations! Very well done!” The manager of VML said I had set the bar higher for event organizing in Tandag.

These are nice to hear, of course. But what really mattered to me was the text message of Mimi the day after. She said: Good morning, Nong. I couldn’t have imagined a more perfect day. We owe you so much. You made Mans and I feel as if our day was the most important day of your life. It was a blessing to have you as our planner. Thank you for everything.

For this event, I had set a very high standard for myself. And I’m glad that I had met my own standard. Call me egomaniacal but to me that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment