14 August 2012

Photobucket

Tago became a town three times: first in 1865 under the Maura Law of the Spanish Regime; second in 23 August 1883; and third in 6 November 1918 by virtue of Executive Order No. 41 signed by then Governor General Francis Burton Harrison. Now, if this written and oral history is something to go by, then there’s something wrong in the date we celebrate Araw ng Tago.

Recently we celebrated the 94th Araw ng Tago from 9 to 11 August. But where did “94” and “August 9-11” come from?

Let’s admit it, guys, we got it all wrong! And if it’s wrong, then we must correct it.

If I were to decide how old Tago is, logic dictates that I’d start counting from the day it was made into a town for the very first time, which was in 1865. That makes Tago not 94 years old but 147. But then again, I don’t have the month and date, so I’d rather not choose it as basis, unless I have no qualms about “doctoring” history by adding an arbitrary month and date.

Moving on to my next bet, 23 August 1883. If I adopt this as basis, at least the celebration will continue to be on the same month of August. I just have to change Tago’s age from 94 to 129 years.

I have to admit that in terms of strength of authority as basis, nothing beats 6 November 1918 because it is supported by an Executive Order. Apparently, the date of Governor General Harrison's EO was made the basis of Araw ng Tago celebration as it placed the age of Tago in 2012 as 94. But then again, why celebrate it two months and 25 days earlier?

There, my fellow Tagon-ons, lies an anomaly.

Since the watch of then Vice Mayor Roque “Nonon” Villamor I have been telling public officials to rectify the patent error but nobody has taken up the challenge.

Any celebration must have accurate basis. And as far as basis goes, nobody argues with history.

Res ipsa loquitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment