23 August 2011

skimboarding (last dakan gayud, 'mor pa!)



As i wrote earlier in this blog, serendipity started it all!

Last summer we went to the backside of the cemetery near Bongtud to see the extent of damage wrought on tombs by huge waves. Done, we didn't back track, instead we walked along the shore toward the FMES area. And that was when we saw boys riding the wash of waves in their crude woodie board.

Impressed and wanting to inspire them, I told them to practice and make good for we might organize a skimboarding competition come Araw ng Tago. Because it was nothing but a whimsical spur-of-the-moment statement, I forgot about it. But what did i know? Two weeks before Araw ng Tago, these boys looked for me to ask me of my promise. Without hesitation I said it's a go!

Leap of faith, yes!

That night my mind went on maximum overdrive. By daybreak, I had my blueprint.

Early that day, I sent a text message to Gov. Johnny T. Pimentel, saying I need P15,000.00 for prizes and trophies. He texted back, saying he would shoulder it. Just like that.

I sent another text message to Engr. Nick Laurente and his wife Bebels, saying I want SK-Tago to be a co-sponsor of the activity and as such, SK should shoulder the cost of two snacks and one lunch for 70 people. (Their daughter Dimple is the SK Federation Chair of Tago.) The ever reliable husband-and-wife team said no problem, even adding that SK-Tago would pay for the tarpaulin. Just like that.

I prepared a nice and novel solicitation letter and asked Mayora Tata Pimentel (who earlier had joined the "I-Love-Tago" Movement) if it was okay to send one to Cong. Philip A. Pichay. (Remember that if there's one thing I hate with a passion, it's soliciting for funds.) She said she would handle it, adding that Mayor Henrich said that he would review the budget of Araw ng Tago to see if he could take charge of the balance of our event's budget. Cong. Pichay and Mayor Pimentel would later shell out P10,000.00 and P10,500.00. Just like that.

Though I made solicitation letters for the Vice Governor and all SP members, I only sent two for Vice-Gov. Mange Alameda and his son, SDS SK Federation Chair JR Alameda. They gave P5,000.00. Just like that.

The next day I was chatting with US-based Gemmadel Medrano, a fellow Seagull,and mentioned to her the event. She said she'd give P2,000,00. Another Seagull Emily Patrimonio gave P400.00. Just like that.

Out of respect, I sent solicitation letters to all members of the Municipal Council of Tago. Only Vice Mayor Alex Bautista (P200.00), SB Tata Yu (P500.00) and SB Al Espinoza (P500.00) showed support. Another solicitation letter to Ex-Mayor Jun Pimentel yielded P1,000,00.

Mayora Tata Pimentel and Ms. Gingot Dolon-Insame conceptualized and actualized the unique trophies made of stenciled tin mounted on narra driftwood. Mayora also made the bannerettes, flaglets, and wind cones that made the venue festive. Special mention to Mayor Roxanne Pimentel for lending us the tent that sheltered our judges. A lot of nameless people supported the event and we couldn't thank them enough.

The Statement of Receipts and Disbursements, now a matter of public record, showed a surplus of P13,020.00. (Because it came after the preparation of the financial statement, the P250.00 printing cost of thank-you card charged by Bag-ong Subang is yet to be deducted.)

"I-Love-Tago" Movement made the 1st Tago Skimboarding Competition happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment